Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Do any other parent have to put up with this?

I come home and the house looks like it's been trashed then my daughter tells me that I can use the computor (oh lucky me) then she asks when I'm going to be finished. So now I get to watch the TV for a while, then she tells me I can use the computor (lucky me) then she asks me when I'm going to be finished. This happens constantly but tonight it's really, really bugging me.....So does this happen in any other house hold?Do any other parent have to put up with this?
I think it does. If you two are close, try talk to her telling her how this particular attitude is bugging you and maybe schedule turns for each of you to use the computer. Goodluck!Do any other parent have to put up with this?
Sounds like she rules the house not you. You need to set some rules and boundries - she needs to do her homework first and she only gets so long on the computer each night.
I don't and I wouldn't put up with that kind of behavior. My kid's are only allowed on the computer when I let them.
Good Lord, YES!!!! I work at home, so my son (age 16) is constantly bugging me asking me when I'll be done so he can get online...so I'll get done, and go into the other room to watch TV. He'll get online for 5 minutes and then come in and want to watch TV....and he will also tell me ';you can get online and check your email now';....LOL so you're not the only one!!!!
I am pretty strict with my kids, so NO!!! They won't get away with something like this and I won't put up with this either.





So my advice is, do not put up with it.





Did you buy the computer for her or for the household? Then you have every right to be on the computer as long as you wish, and also if she is busy, then she may use it until she is finished.
im a single mum to but i dont let my kids rule my life you need to put some rules in place my kids are only allowed on the computer for an hour a day, if they want to watch something on t.v but i want to watch something different they go to there room to watch it, its not being cruel its just life.
Sorry but one question...who is the parent and who is the boss?? I am a single parent also of two girls and I would never let them run all over me like that...BE A PARENT NOT HER BEST FRIEND!!! Thats for when she is an adult also....otherwise you will have to deal with this for the REST OF YOUR LIFE...
For starters I wouldn't allow it. There is no way I would allow my daughter to tell ME what I can and cannot do in my own home. I am the parent, not her. If I want to use the computer, I will use the computer. When I want, how I want, for as long as I want. My response to her if she asked when I would be finished is ';When I am finished';. If my daughter has a school project or some other type of homework she needs to use the computer for I would make sure that she tells me. In that case a schedule can be worked out. But I would dictate the rules on the schedule, not her. Yes, I would allow her time first to get her work done. But, when she was done, then it would be my time. Same for the t.v. A schedule can be worked out. It's unfortunate in your case that happens, and I indeed have seen this in other homes. But you have to put your foot down and make it known that you make the rules and they must be followed. Don't allow your daughter to walk all over you this way.





It's one thing to be a softy. It's another when you allow your kids to dictate the rules or tell you how things should be. As a single parent your job is harder, therefore you should be a bit more strict that you are the one in charge, not them. Unfortunately your daughter is learning that it is easy to manipulate you, seeing how you cave in to her demands. Be stronger and set some ground rules or she will learn to do this with others as well. She obviously seems to have no respect for you or your home. If you don't gain some kind of control over this now, she will treat you like a doormat forever and it will only get worse. Good luck.
take charge.. its your house. Your daughter shouldnt be trashing YOUR house, telling you what you can and cant do in YOUR house...
Only households where the parents are doormats.





It's your house and your computer. If you don't like what's going on, then tell your daughter it is not to happen, and that she doesn't get to watch TV or use the computer until she has cleared up the mess she made!
This isn't about being a softie. Your daughter is in charge here, and that's backwards - you know that already.





You've lost control, and it sounds to me like you've lost respect. My suggestion to you is that you express your frustration at the current computer usage, and set down a schedule. Families use schedules for TV time, bathroom time, computer time, and all sorts of things there's not enough of. This would allow you to take back control over your home and your computer, without being too tough, which you don't seem to be comfortable with.





Good luck!
yes unfortunately my 16 yr old daughter does it to and it finally got to the point where i had enough, so it was time to take action. when i was off work and she was gone i disconnected everything and told her that if she couldn't help me by picking up after herself she couldn't go on the computer that i wouldn't have it cut back on (i actually just unhooked one cable and took it off so she couldn't get on the Internet)when and if she decided to do her chores daily. at first it was hell all she wanted to do was fuss and complain that she had to talk to this person or needed to email that person but i stood my ground,and she finally decided to clean up her room and do her regular chores around the house.i don't know how old your daughter is but if she is older just put it straight that if she wants her OWN computer get a job,or if she is younger maybe what i did would work, there is always a solution , and if anything both of you sit down and make a schedule out of when it will be her turn on the computer, as long as her cleaning and other things are done (like homework if she is young).i hope i could help you .it may work for you but if not i wish you the best of luck,God bless.
as being a teenager and i used to be like that sadly i have to say that you have to tell her what is right and what is wronge. she is get puffy about it but she needs to learn and i dont hate my mum or dad for it. i was mad at them for 1 day but now i respect and understand where they were coming from :-)


good luck!
YES! my 15yr old son is that way...but i stay at home so at least most days the house is clean...but yea my son does that...either that or god forbid i get up for 2 seconds to do something the little computer vulture is on the computer...he hands me some ';i thought you were done'; which in turns ticks me off because he knows he has to ask to use the computer...ugh....and then when it comes to the tv...he has an xbox 360 which he thinks gives him the right to sit in front of the tv from the moment he walks in the door til bedtime...so yea i feel your pain....gotta love teenagers....LOL
Why do you think you HAVE to put up with it. Who's the adult in the home? Who paid for the computer? Who pays for the internet service? There is something seriously wrong in your household if your daughter is the boss. And no this would not happen in my household.
People tell you that you should be in charge and that makes you sad? Why?





You are the parent and your dd is telling you what to do. That's not the way parent/child relationships go.
my son trys it but if im on the computer he can wait his turn. and if the house is trashed when I get home.......no one uses the computer or the tv untill its back to the way it should be.
as long as your paying the bills, You get the computer when You want!
I am not a Mom, but even I know that you need to let your daughter know who is the Mom and who is the Kid. Some Mom's wants to be a child's friend and the cool Mom,but you don't have to give up respect in order to gain things like that.
I remember when my mom would come home I would be on the computer because it was just her and I in the house. She would set time limits on the computer and depending on how much I helped her out around the house, sometimes she would let me stay on longer. I think maybe if she had told me which sites I were allowed to be on instead of a time limit, I'd have been more motivated to help her out around the house... like if she had said you can check your e-mail on yahoo but no myspace or any other site, then I'd have had more motivation to actually do housework and get to see more sites than just one in a sitting at the computer...

No comments:

Post a Comment